ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Mondays, January 22 + 29 and February 5 + 19
7pm – 9pm
$220 + membership
Includes: tea + baked goods
Writer’s Work: Refining Your Creative Practice is a four-week class with Carla Funk (see bio at bottom of page) and designed to help writers build a sustainable and fruitful writing practice. Participants will learn about practical subjects like time management and work environment. They’ll also explore ways to source new material and spark their creativity.
Each week, participants will engage in a series of creative experiments, which can be customized to their own literary concerns and goals. There’ll also be plenty of opportunities for discussion and sharing of processes, as well as reading assignments.
Is it for me?
This four-week class is for you if you:
- Have some measure of experience as a writer working in any genre and want to establish or re-focus and enliven your writing practice;
- Have taken some writing courses or graduated from a BFA or MFA program and are wondering, ‘Now what?’;
- Know you’re not as productive as you could be;
- Have the creative doldrums and are feeling blocked, stuck, or stalled;
- Are fractured in your literary pursuits;
- Want to finish what you start;
- Want to articulate your creative vision and consider how your work is aligning with that vision;
- Want to be objective and reflective about how you work and how you work best.
How will I benefit?
- Be able to identify your own best creative practices so that you can be more productive;
- Learn how to expand your creative scope and to draw new things into your work;
- Gain a clarity of purpose in your practice;
- Learn to be more comfortable with creative experiments;
- Feel more accountable and committed to your practice;
- Learn about other writers’ creative practices and be buoyed by literary camaraderie.
What will I get?
- A self-designed personal plan for a sustainable and fruitful writing practice;
- Tea and a delicious baked good every class.
Bring to the workshop:
- Whatever you’re most comfortable writing with—whether that’s a laptop or notebook and pen.
- Do approximately two hours of homework every week.
To register click the button below and you’ll be taken to a registration form hosted by Typeform that will take a few minutes to complete. Completing and submitting the registration form will hold your spot, but payment is required within 48 hours via email money transfer or PayPal to guarantee your spot.
Refund Policy: Students may receive a full refund up to five days in advance of the commencement of the offering. No refund will be provided after that date, unless the course is cancelled.
Cancellation Policy: If, three days in advance of the workshop, the number of registered participants is six or fewer the workshop may be cancelled, in which case participants would be notified and refunded immediately.
Registration is open now and closes at midnight on Wednesday, January 17th.
About the Facilitator
Born and raised in Vanderhoof, BC, CARLA FUNK lives and writes in Victoria, where she taught for 15 years in the Department of Writing at UVic. She served as the Victoria’s inaugural poet laureate (2006-2008), and helped to promote the literary arts in the city. Gloryland (Turnstone Press, 2016) is her fifth book of poems. She's currently finishing up a creative nonfiction collection about childhood, God, loggers, and small town imagination.