ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Saturday, November 18
10am to 5pm
$175 + membership
Includes: coffee/tea, a baked good, and lunch
Is your prose feeling a little flat? Are you curious about different approaches or structures you could take to tell your story? Would you like to bring more precision to your use of imagery and metaphor? Poetic Techniques for Prose Writers with Yvonne Blomer (see bio at bottom of page) is a one-day workshop designed to teach prose writers poetic techniques that will enrich their writing with rhythm, metaphor, and sensory detail.
This is an exercise-based workshop and includes lots of hands-on writing time. There’ll also be reading samples and group discussion. Sharing of work will be optional.
Is it for me?
This one-day workshop is for you if you:
- Are a beginning or intermediate prose writer;
- Want to enrich the language in your prose;
- Want to place your reader in the action and the moment with descriptive detail;
- Want to play with language and metaphor;
- Want to write prose that has a more literary quality to it;
- Have a great story to tell and you’re looking for ways to make it sing;
- Are willing to try new things, even if they make you a bit nervous;
- Enjoy the company of other literary folks.
How will I benefit?
- Be more attuned to descriptive detail, metaphor, and language;
- Learn additional tools to improve the sound and feel of your prose writing;
- Get to enjoy a cross-genre process that will enrich your writing practice;
- Get to spend time with other literary-minded folks.
What will I get?
- Drafts of two short prose pieces that are generated through writing prompts;
- Two-three pages of existing work, reworked with your newfound knowledge of poetic techniques so that it pulls the reader in more;
- Coffee/tea, a delicious baked good, and a nourishing lunch.
In advance of the workshop you’ll be required to:
- Select two or three pages of double-spaced prose to work on during the workshop. This writing sample will also need to be made available to the facilitator in advance of the workshop.
Bring to the workshop:
- Whatever you’re most comfortable writing with—whether that’s a laptop or notebook and pen.
To register click the button below and you’ll be taken to a registration form hosted by Typeform that will take a few minutes to complete. Completing and submitting the registration form will hold your spot, but payment is required within 48 hours via email money transfer or PayPal to guarantee your spot.
Refund Policy: Students may receive a full refund up to five days in advance of the commencement of the offering. No refund will be provided after that date, unless the course is cancelled.
Cancellation Policy: If, three days in advance of the workshop, the number of registered participants is six or fewer the workshop may be cancelled, in which case participants would be notified and refunded immediately.
Registration is open now and closes at midnight on Tuesday, November 14th.
About the Facilitator
YVONNE BLOMER is an award winning writer and the Poet Laureate of Victoria. Born in Zimbabwe, she has lived in Japan and England and has cycled in Southeast Asia, Japan, Mexico, Canada, France and the UK. Sugar Ride: Cycling from Hanoi to Kuala Lumpur (Palimpsest Press, 2017) is her most recent book about her three month journey by bicycle. She has also published three poetry collections, most recently As if a Raven (Palimpsest Press, 2014). In the fall of 2017 Refugium: Poems for the Pacific, edited by Yvonne, will be released with Caitlin Press.